If you want to buy a new car, or your first car, here are the steps and formalities to follow when registering and insuring it on public roads.
- signature of the purchase order outside the dealership, e.g. at the Motor Show: 7 days to withdraw
- online purchase: 14-day return
- the purchase order has a suspensive condition to cancel in the event of bank credit refusal
Once the purchase order has been signed:
- You can then go to your banker or credit partner to carry out the financial procedures and payment.
- The importer also provides this type of service, through the brand’s credit partner (which is often the brand itself).
Procedures in Belgium
- If the car is second-hand and not imported, you must receive its Car-Pass (its anti-fraud history on the counter).
- The dealer will send you the pink registration application form.
- If you want to change your registration number, take your old number plate to a post office for deregistration.
- Contact your insurer with the pink registration application form. They will establish the mandatory third-party insurance and enter the registration request in WebDIV.
- Should you require comprehensive insurance, submit the purchase invoice to your insurer as well.
- Your registration number (rear plate) will arrive by post or at the post office; the payment of €30 applies on receipt to the delivery person or at the post office.
- Have a copy of the official plate made for the front of the car.
- Visit the dealer to install the plates. And enjoy!
Thereafter, a letter from the regional authority will request your payment for the registration and road tax.